Friday, June 20, 2008

A Kodiak Day: Part 2 (Wildlife adventure!)

As we were walking back across the street to our cars, we saw these two eagles perched on a rock. They were pretty far away, so I zoomed in as far as my camera would go and snapped a picture about every 10 steps. This is the best one I got: The view from Fort Abercrombie was beautiful! Christie and I were really having a love affair with Kodiak this day. (WHAT??) I still don't think the views around here are as pretty as the Olympic Mountains in Port Angeles/Sequim or the Giant Redwoods in Humboldt County, but it's still beautiful in it's own right because it's Alaska and it's unique! Fort Abercrombie is actually an old WWII bunker and still has some ruins of gun turrets and stuff. It's pretty interesting stuff, actually, to think about the guys that were stationed there warding off the Japanese.

Wait....who's this WILD bunch???
Another mysterious creature seen 'round these parts. They tend to become active right around the time that I like to either go to sleep or watch Days of Our Lives...their patterns are very mysterious (and NOISY!).
Okay, so Christie told us about this little colony of groundhogs that live in the lawn by the Golden Anchor (where the galley is located right now), so after our lunch, we decided to see if we could find any. It reminded me of that game at Chuck E. Cheeses where you whack the mole on top of the head with the hammer! They were SO cute and kept popping up all over the place! The kids would run up to them and they would duck back down into their hole at the last minute. I caught this guy with my zoom.

Quick, they're coming!

Are there any in here?

I guess I got these pictures out of order...oh well. Back to the eagles that were on the rock. This is a picture of those same eagles in a puddle. It seemed too common crow of them to be walking in this ordinary puddle. They're way above such commonplace things, don't you think?
The eagles again

Anyway, I guess that's all for now! After we eat our dinner I'm going to post some more randomness from up here...I'm sure you all are thrilled! :)

No comments: