Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I ate bear.

Yes, bear. Here's a visual to go along with my internal dialogue that I had going on while I ate it:

You are not a vegetarian. You like beef and pork. Meat is meat. Why are some meats acceptable but others are not? You should definitely try this. It's hypocritical not to.

But it's not beef or pork. It's bear. It was walking around in the woods minding it's own business and now it's on my plate, smothered in BBQ sauce, sandwiched between two buns and some cole slaw.
Oh, you're such a dang hypocrite. You hate hypocracy. Just become a vegetarian already, will ya? Aw, poor little Yogi was walking around in the woods and now he's on your plate smothered in BBQ sauce. How is that different than the poor wittle piggy that had a short life in some dark, crowded pork farm and ended up on your plate as a ham sandwich? Eat it. Or don't. But you should definitely become a vegetarian if you don't. Meat is meat.
But it's BEAR. That is definitely not the same as pork or beef. I can go to the grocery store and buy bacon and steak. I grew up eating bacon and steak. I am not used to eating wild game. Go easy on me, will ya? I'm a city slicker, okay? I admit it. Plus, Yogi and Bambi are cute. But not cuter than this. (P.S. I ate the bear.)

2 comments:

Marian said...

I'm totally feeling your inner dialogue, I think mine would be very similar. Did the kids try it too?

Audrey said...

See, it wasn't gamey or gross at all, right?
I'm feelin' ya on the inner dialogue. Trust me. With each new animal that's shot and dragged through our door, I start from scratch. The goat was the hardest thing for me to get over. Because, well, it's a goat.