Friday, May 23, 2008

Crab Fest Part 1

So, ever since I've been here (actually I heard about this before I got here) people have been freaking out about this festival they have here in Kodiak called "Crab Fest". It's seriously the biggest thing this town does all year. I've seen countless people around town wearing Crab Fest sweatshirts and it literally is CRAB FEST CRAB FEST CRAB FEST around here. I took Joanna to the eye doctor the other day and the receptionist, technician and doctor all asked her if she was going and if she was excited about it. So, I have to say I've been curious about this event for a while, but I had to keep my expectations low, because...well, this is Kodiak. People rave about the Crab Fest food, but the food around here is crappy all year-round, so what on earth are they going to bust out with over the weekend that could possibly be so super fabulous?? Well, I took the kids down there after we picked Joanna up from school this afternoon and it was...well, there were some good points, mainly the fresh cooked King Crab that I bought....and yeah, that was about it. It's really just a crappy over-priced carnival, but the town really gets into it, so it is what it is.
I did have a little excitement though. When we walked back to the car to leave, someone (a total IDIOT) decided to make up their own parking spot right behind me and box me in. I guess they thought it was a curb or something, who knows. I called the non-emergency police line and they sent a cop and a tow truck over right away. The cop was really nice and they got there super quickly, which I thought was really great! It kind of made me appreciate small town police forces, because if that had happened to me anywhere else, I would have waited for hours. Heck, in Eureka, I bet they wouldn't have sent anyone at all! Anyway, here's a picture of the crab I got. $15, which I didn't think was too bad. It was too bad that I didn't have any of my favorite people here to share it with. Oh, well. Maybe next time.
P.S. I called this "Crab Fest Part 1" because we're probably going to go back tomorrow and let the kids ride on some of the carnie rides. Joanna will be eating a light breakfast...

No comments: