Wednesday, January 5, 2011

This is the kind of Mother I am...

So this morning, the kids were really making me nuts with their arguing and bickering. It started the moment they got up. A lot of it has to do with the fact that Nate has no sense of the fine line between when something is funny and when it suddenly isn't any more. What he does is he knows when something is funny, so he ramps it up until suddenly it's over the top and not funny any more. Well, if something is funny, MORE is funnier, right? Louder is funnier, right? Crazier is funnier, right?? It makes for some interesting times for his sister, for sure.

Anyway, they bickered all morning long, and I thought if I had to say, "Guys, STOP!!!" one more time my head was going to explode. They were arguing in the car and I was lecturing them about how irritating it was to have to listen to them argue all the time. Blah, blah, blah...I'm sure I sounded like the teacher on Charlie Brown...owa wa wawa owawa. Then, out of nowhere, this fine specimine of parental guidance flowed over my lips:

"Whatever. How about this. When you're arguing about something, think about what it is you're arguing about. If it's not about something that's going to be of any significance in 5 minutes or even 5 seconds, stop the argument. But heck, if it's about something you're going to care about in 20 years, by all means, duke it out."

We all started laughing and the rest of the ride was pleasant and argument free. At one point Nate started in with "Siss-EE!!..." and then after a split second to think about it, "Um, nevermind."

Ahh...success. For now anyway. Stay tuned for more words of parental wisdom, folks. I'm full of it. I mean them. HA!!!

2 comments:

Jen said...

How I have missed reading your blog.. I look forward to reading more now that I am quitting FB cold turkey! YIKES!!! ;) Love You and your amazing wisdom!!

Anonymous said...

Hi - Just found your blog by google. I also have a Joanna with a little brother named Nate :)