Saturday, January 31, 2009

An education in isolation

Inside the aircraft. A Coast Guard C130

Me and Audry on the C130
Wow, so this week I've really had two huge wake-up calls with regard to just how isolated we really are here in good 'ol Kodiak. The first one came this past Tuesday when I had to fly in a C130 airplane over to Anchorage to get my hearing tested. See, normal people DRIVE to such things, but not here. Normal people would say, "Gee...my hearing test is at 1:45. I guess I'll leave the house around 1:30. Husband (or whoever), I'll be back around 3:00...is there anything you want me to get at Costco while I'm out?". Yes, that's what normal people would say. Not here.

Here, you get up at 0500 and meet in the hanger at 0600. You wait around for an hour and then board the plane. You freak out because you realize a military aircraft is taking you to a hearing test. Then you get off the military aircraft because there's a mechanical problem. You wait around for two hours and get (really) annoyed because you realize the two hours of waiting around has seriously jeopardized your chances of going to Costco, Target and Red Robin before your hearing test. You finally reboard the military aircraft and insert the complimentary ear plugs so that the noise of the military aircraft does not compromise the integrity of the hearing test that you're going to Anchorage for.

*sigh*

By the way, if you do ever have to go on a C130 to a doctor's appointment (or for any other reason) there are two things you should know. C130's are loud. C130's are cold. Just FYI.

I was so fortunate to have my friend Audrey with me. She is such a good friend and said she'd fly Space A with me for moral support (i.e. the opportunity to go to Costco, Target and Red Robin for lunch). Because of the delay, however, we were only able to afford the time to go to Fred Meyer and Burger King for Whoppers with cheese. It was still a success, though, because we both got new jeans and Whoppers with cheese. :) It can also be considered a successful mission because I was told that I need a hearing aid. 5 years ago I would be crying at that thought, but now, at the ripe old age of almost 33, I have let go of the vanity and am fine with it. I think I've finally said "Huh?" and "What?" a few too many times.

So, after a long day, we finally returned to Kodiak at 1900 (7:00 p.m. for you civillians) and I was happily at home, trying not to think about the fact that my 30 minute hearing test had just taken me 13 hours to accomplish.

Education in Isolation: Take 2

Yesterday morning, I get an email from Jake at work. It's title is: "FW: ASH ALERT", and the message from Jake was, "I don't know what this means, but here you go.". I scroll down and read that Mt. Redoubt is getting ready to blow her top, and we should be preparing for some ash fallout. WHAT??? Have you ever heard of Mt. Redoubt? I never had until yesterday. Apparently it's a volcano that is about 350 miles to our north east and an eruption is imminent. You read correctly. A VOLCANIC ERUPTION IS IMMINENT. Are you kidding me? I guess this thing blew in 1989 and spewed a layer of volcanic ash over darn near the entire state, and it mucked things up pretty good for several months. Air travel was limited. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? They're handing out fliers at the entrance gate about what to do when the ash starts falling here in Kodiak. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

My husband is getting ready to go underway again in the near future. I want out. NOW. We don't get paid enough for me to put up with this crap. I've put up with a lot over the past 10 years. I draw the line at immminent volcanic eruptions. DO YOU HEAR ME, COAST GUARD??? I DRAW THE LINE AT VOLCANIC ERUPTIONS!!! Good Lord, help me.

So, to draw this post to a conclusion, I'd like to just say,

I'm DONE, AK. I am done. Thank you. Now I'm going to go to Walmart and get some emergency supplies.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WWWWTTTTTTFFFFFF???? Im calling you now.

Audrey said...

I loved going to Anchorage with you! The burgers (all 6 of them), the fries, the jeans, the baby car.... It was all good! I wish we would have had more time, but we made the absolute best out of what we had. I can't wait to go again!

Unknown said...

omg big huggs Emily! So when's coffee this week, we might as well huddle under the fall of ash together hehe! Hang in there chicky!